Labyrinth Cosplay: Progress Update

Standard

I’ve honestly lost count of how many weeks I’ve been working on this project and how many there are left.

This week, I made a lot of trips to Jo-Ann’s. Not that I don’t usually, but this one required more. It seemed like every night I was missing something–something required to work on the next step.

For starters, Somehow this fabric hoarder ran out of interfacing. And I also had to buy shoulder pads–how 80’s. If I’d read the notions section of the pattern, I would have known this, but I tend to ignore this part until I’m ready for it.

Then the clear coat for my brooch didn’t work, so I had to go get more of that, and it’s very hard to find in a gloss.

I also messed up my cuffs and had to start from scratch, which meant cutting more fabric, more interfacing, and more lace.

I was worried the week was going to be full of setbacks, but then towards the end there was a complete turn around.

I almost finished my jacket. It is looking super awesome. I just need to attach the bottom and glue on the jewels. I also found one of those stands to put it on instead of a hanger. That will come in handy when I sew the dress.

My favorite part is the lace. I just love how it ads depth and tones down some of that blue. I can’t wait to ad the jewels, though I’m sure that will be a pain in the butt.

I can’t wait to be done. It’s been a total headache. I’ve had to stock up on ale, snacks, and binge watch Supernatural just to get through it.

The other  major accomplishment: my sister finally chose fabric for her dress. We cut out the patterns and I’m super excited to get started on this.

I also finished spraying the brooch and it’s ready for jewels.

Note: If you ever need a super silver shiny spray paint, Krylon metallic silver is great. My brooch and the keys look like real metal.

My goal this week is to finish the jacket, work on the Hoggle mask, and maybe, just maybe, start sewing the dress.

 

Cosplay Progress: Sewing Party

Standard

This week was hectic, but in a good way.

So my son’s costume is almost finished. This week I finished the pants and sis started some of his accessories.

I also finished my silver, ruffle-necked shirt. I sewed dozens of buttons down the back before realizing they made snaps in the same style. Ughh! I also started the shiny silver, jewel encrusted brooch that pins to the collar.

 

 

Over the weekend, we had a sewing day with my friends, who are also working on a family cosplay. They are all going as DC characters. It was crazy and fun. We set up a long table in the kitchen so we could use two sewing machines at once. In the family room we cut patterns and fabric, and measured everybody. We had pizza and drinks (of the adult variety) and sewed like crazy. After the party, there was faux fur and fabric pins everywhere. It was hectic, especially since my friend Shelly and I are the only ones who sew. We taught her daughters how to cut patterns, so this was a great learning experience for them. I’m hoping to have another get together in a week or so. Here are some pictures from the party of my stitch’n bitches. I wish I had more, but I was too busy sewing.

Labyrinth Cosplay:Week Three Progress

Standard

This was a week of ALMOST. I almost finished my shiny Bowie shirt.

It looks finished, but I still need to sew the buttons in the back. I found some really pretty buttons from JoAnns but they didn’t have enough in stock, so I have to wait for more to come in. At least the sewing part is done. I’m really happy with the way the shirt turned out. I think my sewing level might have increased from beginner to intermediate. I still can’t master zippers, but there’s always an alternative to a zipper.

I almost finished Rylee’s Hoggle pants. I just have to sew the patches and a button on them.

Other than that, my sis bought the clay to make Hoggle’s accessories. She hasn’t been feeling well, so that is as far as she got.

We also looked at fabric again. Monday, I’m going to buy the fabric for the jacket.

My goal is to finish the pants Monday and start on the jacket and finally cut the pattern for Sarah’s dress. There’s still so much to get done. I just realized I need to make the brooch that he pins on his ruffled shirt. I saw one online, but the colors of the beads are wrong and it’s 50 dollars. I could probably make it for 10-20. So another thing to add to the to-do list.

Stay tuned for next week, when hopefully, I have some more photos to share.